Tuesday, September 30

things you learn when you're trying to do your Bible study with a grumpy heart...

It's been a while since I've visited my little corner of the blog world, but my heart was prompted this morning to write, if even just for myself.

Can we just talk about how sneaky that pesky devil is?
This morning started out a little rough, and as I sat down at the table to do my Bible study, I looked down at the book and thought, "Well, I sure can't do this with my bad attitude. I need to pray."

So I sat there...
I know I said I needed to pray, but I didn't even know what to say. So I sat.
Ever been there? You're like, "Okay, God. Give it to me. I know I'm being a brat. Tell me all the things I did wrong so I can repent and move on with my day."

God could have easily (and rightfully) put me on blast and made me feel like scum, but instead He gently told me something I was definitely not expecting.

Stop worrying. My burden is light.

HUH? I'm not worried!
I'm irritated!
I'm in a bad mood!
I'm grumpy! 
But I'm not worried!

But then He began to show me. It was like he gave me a peek into the crevices of my own heart. And I began to realize that I really have been worrying over several things.


Remember how I wanted to talk about that sneaky devil? Well, this is why. I've been allowing the enemy to sneakily feed me these silly little lies that have caused me to worry, and I didn't even realize it was going on. I didn't even know I had been worrying. 

Examine me, God, from head to foot, order your battery of tests. Make sure I'm fit inside and out so I never lose sight of your love, but keep in step with you, never missing a beat. // Psalm 26:2-3 MSG

I'm so thankful for a God who will run a battery of tests on our operating systems and alert us when something is faulty, aren't you? Worry will wear you down if you don't catch it quickly. After too long, you will get tired of trying to run your life on your own human strength. It's just not possible.

There are scriptures in the Bible specifically about worry, and I encourage you to look them up (Google is your friend) if you're dealing with worry. But instead of including those here, I want to point out a different Scripture treasure to you.

Are you tired? Worn out?...Come to me. Get away with me and you'll recover your life. I'll show you how to take a real rest. Walk with me and work with me-watch how I do it. Learn the unforced rhythms of grace. I won't lay anything heavy or ill-fitting on you. Keep company with me and you'll learn to live freely and lightly. // Matthew 11:28-30 MSG

See? None of these heavy burdens weighing us down are from God or of God. Lift the worry off your shoulders and throw it to the side. Grab on to Jesus and let Him show you how to live freely. Free from worry, fear, bitterness, shame, whatever it is that is burdening you. 

Phew! NOW I think I'm ready to do my Bible study. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment