Saturday, February 16

lifeline vs. lifestyle

Devote yourselves to prayer with an alert mind and a thankful heart. | Colossians 4:2
This is my new verse for the Siesta 2013 Scripture Memory Team. God's really teaching me a lot about prayer right now. I'm being challenged like I've never been before in my prayer life. I'm realizing that I was treating prayer more like a lifeline than a lifestyle.

Honestly, it wasn't because I was naive enough to think that I only needed to pray when I needed something. And it wasn't that I was intentionally choosing to ignore God. It's just that I kept telling myself, "Well, God knows everything about me. He knows how I feel, he knows my heart, he knows what I need, he knows what I'm thinking." I was somehow passing that off as prayer.

But the truth is that God wants to hear from me. Half of my theory was right. He does know everything about me. Psalm 33:15 says, "He made their hearts, so he knows everything they do." But he also wants to have a relationship with me, and how can we possibly have a relationship if I never talk to him? How can I possibly have faith in him if I never go to him believing he will answer my prayers?

I'm realizing in this season that not only do I not have all the answers, I don't have any of the answers. But God is graciously reminding me that every answer I need can be found in him. I don't need to worry;  I simply need to pray.

Lord, help me keep my eyes fixed on you.
Teach me to trust in your omniscience.
When I lose sight of you, 
remind me that you long to hear from me.
May I live a life of continual communication
with you in every season.
Help me to always devote myself to prayer 
with an alert mind and a thankful heart.
I love you and I praise you.




P.S. I'm currently reading Draw the Circle by Mark Batterson (among the other books pictured), and I highly recommend it. It's a 40 day prayer challenge that will teach you so much about what a difference prayer makes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment