Wednesday, April 18

Search My Heart

What kind of role model are you? Have you ever thought about that?


This is something that has been weighing heavy on my heart for the last couple weeks. Now, this may be because I grew up as a PK (pastor’s kid) and pretty much lived in a “glass house,” if you will, my entire life, but I feel like I’m constantly conscious of the things I do and say in front of people. That’s not to say I’m perfect in any way or that I don’t ever mess up and say or do the wrong thing, but I definitely think I [almost unconsciously] try to be extremely careful. I usually think things like, “I don’t want that to come across the wrong way” or “I don’t want him to think I’m a bad person” or “I don’t want her to think I’m not a Christian.” It’s usually a precaution I take as not to ruin my witness. That’s a big deal in my life. I’m afraid to say or do anything that will ruin my witness.


Being so heavily involved in kids ministry means being a heavy influence on those kids’ lives. I recognize that this calling and responsibility God has placed on my life is huge. I have an influence not only on the kids of today, but on the world-changers of tomorrow. I have an influence not only on their walk with the Lord, but also on the people they become and the kind of influence they will be on the kids of their generation. 


I am a role model.


Whether it be good or bad, positive or negative, I am a role model to these kids. I don’t say this to brag or to put myself on a pedestal (because it’s probably true for every teacher and leader at school and church), but the girls in my Wednesday night class LOVE me. They get so excited to see me, they’re sad when I’m gone, they love to ask questions about my life, they love to do things like me. Simply put, I am a role model to them. Probably not the only one, but I am one. The same goes for the rest of the kids at church. To me, that’s a giant task and calling. It is partly my responsibility to teach these kids about life and how to live it, and that’s huge.


Lately, I’ve been noticing different people and things that influence the kids of today. I’ve seen people who are role models to these kids doing things I hate for these kids to see. I see things on display for these kids that I would never want them to replicate or repeat. It breaks my heart. It kills me to know that these innocent kids are being influenced in ways over which they really have no control. So I’ve been challenged.


As I was getting ready for bed last night, I was reminded of these two verses which are posted on my bathroom mirror.
“Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life.” Psalm 139:23-34


“Examine me, God, from head to foot, order your battery of tests, Make sure I’m fit inside and out.” Psalm 26:2



I believe these two scriptures should play a huge role in the life a role model. And really, we’re all role models. Whether we’re involved in kids ministry or not, we all have an influence on the kids of our generation. I guess what I’m trying to say is this:


Influence our kids in a way that pleases God. Live in front of them the way you would want them to live. Be conscious of everything you do and say in front of them. Again, we all have an influence on the kids of our generation AND tomorrow’s leaders and world-changers. Be an influence you would be proud to see them be. Be the best role model you can be.

No comments:

Post a Comment