Wednesday, August 8

What do you bring to the table?

Have you ever been asked that question? Maybe in a job interview or for you students, at the start of a group project? I’ve never really liked that question because I feel like it almost requires some boasting. Here. Let me tell you about all of my amazing qualities and all of the giant accomplishments of my life. It’s just not a comfortable or easy question to answer for me.


This afternoon, I received a message from my favorite brother-in-law. (Did you like that embellishment, Clint??? You can pay me later.) He complimented me on the blog post I wrote a couple days ago. Of course, I thoroughly enjoyed receiving such a nice compliment, but I immediately thought, “I only wish I could take credit for that.” You see, I bring nothing to the table. That’s right. Nothing. Jesus brings it all.


Take a peek into my imagination for a moment…
I imagine a giant, beautiful dining room table in the most magnificent mansion filled with all of my favorite foods. Skittles, gummy bears, pasta, pizza, Dr. Pepper, popcorn, poptarts, more Dr. Pepper, Reese’s…okay, you get the picture. It’s a fabulous feast. And all I have to do was walk in the door, take a seat at the table, and start dining. Jesus slaved in the kitchen preparing all of these amazing dishes all for me, and I just get to enjoy it. (Then I might need to exercise afterwards to work off all that junk food. But that’s not the point!) This is exactly how it works when we are used by God. Without him, we have nothing. We are nothing. But when we accept the call to be used by God, he prepares a feast of countless gifts for us. He equips us to do amazing things through him and for him. He allows us to be a part of his kingdom work. Who wouldn’t want that?!


Can you imagine sitting down to that beautiful, delicious, immaculate, tasty, mouth-watering table full of food and not eating a single bite? (I simply don’t have that kind of self-control.) I mean, seriously. Why WOULDN’T you want to dive in and enjoy every last crumb? The same goes for the gifts God has for us. Why WOULDN’T you want to take a hold of that gift he’s given you and run with it? Why WOULDN’T you want to take the opportunity to be used by God? Why WOULDN’T you accept the gift of being spoken to and through by God? He has incredible plans for each and every child of his, and all we have to do as his children is say, “Here I am, Lord. Use me!” We don’t have to bring a single thing to the table. All we have to do is eat.


I challenge you right now to accept that challenge, that task, that gift, that opportunity, and RUN with it! And if you don’t know what God has for you to do or how he wants to use you, pray, and pray, and pray some more. You can be used in huge ways. Don’t miss out on that opportunity! 


Here’s a simple prayer you can pray if you’re not sure where to start:


Lord, I am so unworthy of being used by you, but I am so grateful that you chose me. I submit my heart and my life to you, and I choose to follow your lead. Show me what you have for me. I want it all. Take away any fears or other hindrances that might keep me from being used by you, and replace them with courage to take a step of faith, knowing you have a plan for my life. Use me in mighty ways so that I can bring glory to your name all the days of my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment