Tuesday, November 27

((snickerdoodles)) the mystery recipe



I have a confession to make.
I've been lying to the world for years.

Don't tell anyone, but there is a recipe in a published cookbook entitled "Lizzy's Snickerdoodles." I'm Lizzy (short for Lindsay), but the recipe isn't mine. Shhhhhh!!! I said don't tell anyone!

So here's the low-down:
When I was younger, my amazing mother taught me to love baking, and my favorite thing to bake was snickerdoodles. Many years later, our church decided to put together a cookbook, and suddenly, before I even knew what was happening, the recipe became "Lizzy's Snickerdoodles."



Before writing this blog post, I asked my mom who really originated the recipe, and she wasn't sure. So it remains a mystery. In that case, I feel obligated to share it with the world. These cookies are bomb-diggity (yes, I still say that) and so easy to make. There's really nothing special about the recipe except for the fact that it makes the best snickerdoodles you'll ever taste.

I love these cookies because they're a perfect combination of crunchy on the outside and gooey on the inside. It's seriously mind-blowing. I also love them because my husband loves them, and there's really nothing better than watching your husband devour the amazing cookies you just made. It's always a proud moment in my life.

I didn't take pictures of the dough-making process (mostly because I'm not that cool), but really...that's not necessary. It's simple and quick. So here's the recipe. Now get to bakin'. (Actually...make sure you read all the way to the end before you start. I left some helpful tips for you!)

What you'll need:

  • 1/2 c. softened butter
  • 1/2 c. shortening
  • 1 1/2 c. white sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 tsp. vanilla extract
  • 2 3/4 c. AP flour
  • 2 tsp. cream of tartar
  • 1 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 2 tbsp. white sugar
  • 2 tsp. ground cinnamon
Preheat oven to 400 degrees.

Cream together butter, shortening, 1 1/2 cups sugar, eggs, and vanilla extract. 

Blend in the flour, cream of tartar, baking soda, and salt. Set dough aside.

Mix the extra sugar and cinnamon in a bowl.

Shape the dough into balls and roll in cinnamon sugar mixture. Make sure you get them nice and coated!

Place on a baking sheet and pop 'em in the oven for 8-10 minutes!

Let the cookies sit on the baking sheet for 2-3 minutes before transferring to cooling rack.

Enjoy!!



Just a few notes:

  • Regarding the cinnamon sugar mixture, you can make this to taste. I like mine to be more cinnamon and less sugar (Woah. I never thought I'd say the words "less sugar.") But if you're not crazy about cinnamon, you can use less.
  • I use a Pampered Chef stone to bake my cookies (and I highly recommend getting one if you don't already have one), but if you're using a normal baking sheet, you may want to grease it first.
  • When the cookies have cooled, they'll feel a little crispy on the outside, but DON'T WORRY! They'll still be ooey and gooey in the middle. That's the best part. Mmmmm....

Okay, NOW get to bakin'!

No comments:

Post a Comment