Friday, December 14

((fear not))

Wow.

My heart is shattered to pieces today after hearing the news about the shooting at an elementary school in Newtown, Connecticut. I cannot imagine the heaviness the families in that town must be feeling. It just doesn't seem fair that innocent people have to suffer from the mistakes of hurting people. I'm in no way connected to the school, and I've been in tears all day because of this tragedy. i can't even fathom what the affected families must be facing right now.

It's so easy to look at a tragic story like this and immediately become afraid. To be honest, we all have a reason to feel that way. It's scary to think about how evil and violent this world has become. It's heartbreaking to think about all of the hurting people in this world. I've seen multiple posts on Facebook and Twitter about how scared people are to send their kids to school or to even let their children leave the house. And while I know in some ways where they're coming from, I just want to remind them of our faithful, strong, loving God who protects us every second of every day.

You see... here's the good news: while today has given us a reason to fear, God has given us a reason to not fear. In His word, we can find tons and tons of verses that tell us of his love and faithfulness and how he protects us. One of my favorite things about God is that he is trustworthy. We can't trust our fellow citizens to control themselves and refrain from hurting our children. But we CAN trust our God to protect us, and we can trust that he has a plan and that his will will be done.

Please don't give the enemy a foothold in your heart today. Don't allow a spirit of fear to cloud your view of God's faithfulness. God is good, and he does good. He loves you, he cares for you, and he is in control. I'm reminded of one of my favorite worship songs that says, "Our God is greater, our God is stronger. God you are higher than any other." Let that ring in your heart and mind today as news of this tragedy flood our homes.

The LORD is my light and my salvation -- so why should I be afraid? The LORD protects me from danger -- so why should I tremble? | Psalm 27:1

All you who fear the LORD, trust the LORD! He is your helper; he is your shield. | Psalm 115:11

Be strong and courageous! Do not be afraid of them! The LORD your God will go ahead of you. He will neither fail you nor forsake you." | Deuteronomy 31:6

Don't be afraid, for I am with you. Do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you. I will help you. I will uphold you with my victorious right hand. | Isaiah 41:10

I am holding you by your right hand -- I, the LORD your God. And I say to you, 'Do not be afraid. I am here to help you. | Isaiah 41:13

No comments:

Post a Comment